Saturday, April 8, 2017

Dr. Seuss Bracket!

The last two years we have had pretty epic Dr. Seuss celebrations, where every class comes in on one day and listens to a book, plus has a Seuss themed snack and a fun photo booth. Because of our book fair and conferences this year, we weren't able to do it all in one day. So, I thought we'd just spend the whole month celebrating Seuss, instead!

March is also the month of basketball, for those of us who love March Madness, so we combined the two to create an 8 book Dr. Seuss book bracket. At my previous building, I did a 16 book bracket, but because of time, we did 8 this year.


The kindergarteners and first graders, as well as half of our second graders voted for the left side of the bracket, while the other half of second grade, plus our third and fourth graders voted on the right side. 


We displayed all of our Dr. Seuss books for checkout throughout the month!





The first week, each class read the two books in their section of the bracket. After that, we read one book each week. I bought all of the Dr. Seuss books on my iPad so that I could project them onto the board for kids to see. Then, I created a Google Form for kids to vote on each matchup. They used iPads to vote.


This is what our bracket ended up like. The Lorax won by a big margin!




I keep a document of book quotes as I read, and the last week of our tournament, I pulled out a Dr. Seuss quote from The Lorax. This is one of the best!

During the last week, we also had several Dr. Seuss themed games to play! It is safe to say that everyone had a lot of fun!














No comments:

Post a Comment

Crazy February

What a winter! I haven't updated in a long time, because well, we haven't been in school for a long time! This past week we actually...