Sunday, February 19, 2017

Week of February 13

This week felt very much like a week of simplicity and joy in the library. We focused on books and reading and laughing--a perfect combo!

Even our recess clubs were back to the basics this week--we played with Legos and K'NEX! We...and I mean WE (I had to get in on this!) had fun building houses and cars and other creations.






Our preschoolers read their first wordless book this week--my favorite one, Chalk by Bill Thomson. 


AK kids listened to Roller Coaster by Marla Frazee. They all wanted to share their experiences with roller coasters and their reactions to this book were so funny!


Kindergarteners listened to Duck, Duck, Moose by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen. We used this to talk about characters, setting, beginning, middle, and end. I created an organizer to retell the story. Kids dragged pictures out of the "magic box" and sorted them out.







First graders listened to two more of the books from the Goldfinch list: The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires and Lion vs Rabbit by Alex Latimer. 



Second and third grade classes both listened to my new favorite book, The Bad Guys by Aaron Blabey. It is just so funny, and totally worth the $4 I spent to have it on Kindle so that I could project the pictures for the kids. I read it out loud 8 times and I still laughed at certain parts! I also talked with our Scholastic book fair rep, and she told me that they'll be sending book 2 of The Bad Guys to our fair next week! 


About half of our 4th graders finished up their book trailers! As soon as I get the rest of them, I'm going to find a way to post them all on a page and share them. For their first video project, they are turning out really well!

The next two weeks will be consumed by book fair, so there won't be a regular post, but look for a post with the 4th grade videos, and a new regular post the week before Spring Break--March 11! We're going to start a Dr. Seuss tournament of books, and I can't wait! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Crazy February

What a winter! I haven't updated in a long time, because well, we haven't been in school for a long time! This past week we actually...