Saturday, November 7, 2015

Mock Caldecott

November is National Picture Book, and to celebrate we are starting a Mock Caldecott unit in Kindergarten, 1st, and 3rd grades. I am ridiculously excited for this! We are using John Schu & Colby Sharp's list of best picture books of 2015. I have gotten all of these books, and we'll hopefully be reading all of them before winter break.

Since our project will be covering about 2 months, I wanted to find a way for students to collect their thoughts on the books to help them remember. I am almost always against packets, but I couldn't figure out a better way to do it for our K-1 students...until...I was looking back through my notes from ITEC and remember the app called Seesaw. I am in love with Seesaw. It is a place where students can draw pictures, write notes, or record audio notes, among other things. It is so easy to use, and everyone can share their thoughts with each other in a safe, monitored setting.

This week we started with a book from one of my favorite authors--Wolfie the Bunny by Ame Dyckman, illustrated by Zachariah O'Hora. Students used Seesaw to draw or tell about their favorite part of the story. Here are a few examples of their awesome work--I love their little creations!

















Our 3rd graders are keeping track of their thoughts using Google Classroom. We will have visitors from Titan Hill Intermediate School in Council Bluffs joining us in our Classroom to compare thoughts and notes on the books. This week, students logged in and looked at a list of past Caldecott winners. They posted about which books they had read. Their comments show their enthusiasm!



I can't wait to see how this project unfolds! I'm excited, as always, to mesh a love of books with technology & collaboration! All the best things into one unit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Crazy February

What a winter! I haven't updated in a long time, because well, we haven't been in school for a long time! This past week we actually...